- Editing and proofreading
- Content writing and copywriting for multiple mediums
- Collaboration and flexibility
- Innovation and strategy for content development
- Leadership and management
- Public speaking
- Cooking more food than I can eat
- Petting dogs
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Google Drive/docs
- Content management systems (CMS), such as Box and SharePoint
- Social media/networks
- Project management systems (PMS), such as Trello and Asana
Edited career-relevant, original content for university course curriculum, including substantive revisions through line and copy editing. As the curriculum development team editor, I provided guidance to a team of 15 to 20 writers to make certain that educational content was clear, informative, and enjoyable to read.
- Edited 10,000 to 20,000 words a day in creative fiction and non-fiction covering academics in nursing, graphic design, accounting, surgical techs, advertising, and more.
- Led others in substance and style to create team cohesion.
- Worked exclusively in online writing, editing, and project management environments.
IBM, Help@IBM Content Team
Assessed internal help articles for accuracy and necessity, ensuring they conform to the company style guide and increase user rankings. Found the most efficient way to clearly communicate the idea, “Say the most with the least amount of words possible.”
- Developed productive, positive relationships with product owners and other teams.
- Acted as the admin of Trello board used for PMS and led webinars on how to use the application.
- Exhibited initiative, follow-through, and an understanding of priorities. “Work smart, not hard.”
Freelance and Contract Work as a Writer, Content Developer, Creative and Brand Strategist
Worked short- and long-term contracts as an editor, writer, content strategist, and instructor for advertising firms, tech companies, a power company, and more. The following is a brief highlight of that work:
- Generated audience-seeking, retention-boosting, call-to-action content for blogs, email campaigns, landing pages, web copy, infographics, scripts for videos, banner ads, social media posts, webinars, in-store signage, and direct mail.
- Collaborated from kick-off to delivery with marketing, demand generation, graphics, events, PR, and clients to craft innovative strategies and narrative cohesion.
- Refined writing/style guides for customer-facing and internal content.
Performer, Director, and Instructor
Improv troupes, shows, and theaters
Improv greatly influences my off-stage life and has given me personal mottoes, such as “I’m here to make you look good” to show support for others and their ideas. This motto also means performing at my best. Improv has refined my thoughts on collaboration, adapting quickly, and creating original content.
- Teach improv skills to adults and children, giving them the confidence to freely create and use teamwork.
- Act out improvised original performances that range from 5 to 90 minutes in length, including directing successful shows with a cast of 10 or more.
Marketing and Technology Manager/Co-owner
Blue Iris Therapy
Opened a massage therapy business with my wife so she could reach a larger, more profitable clientele. Used WordPress to make the website and wrote the website, social media, and newsletter copy.
- Had 20 percent higher open rate and 10 percent higher click-through rate than others in same industry.
- Hired and trained employees.
Editor-in-chief, Writer, Co-founder
Co-owned and acted as editor-in-chief for a popular tech blog. The site generated product reviews and discussed technology’s connection to and influence on entertainment, politics, medicine, and more. Through this focus, I helped establish a loyal, growing audience and a satisfied staff of writers.
Copywriter/Marketing Content Writer
Produced and edited content—emails and marketing campaigns—for consistency and to target audiences. Increased open and click-through rates by 10 to 20 percent.
The Onion: The A.V. Club
Wrote articles that worked for print and web, with an enhanced online experience, including a monthly restaurant review column.
Freescale Semiconductor, now called NXP
Edited reference manuals, product briefs, data sheets, and app notes for multiple departments for accuracy, grammar, voice, and style. Collaborated with global team of onsite/remote writers, designers, and marketers.
University of Southern Mississippi
B.A. in English language studies and journalism