- Content writing and copywriting for multiple mediums o Editing and proofreading
- Collaboration and adaptability
- Innovation and strategy for development of content
- Leadership and management
- Public speaking
- Cooking more food than I can eat
- Petting dogs
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Google Drive/docs
- Content management systems (CMS), such as Box and SharePoint
- Social media/networks
- Project management systems (PMS), such as Trello and Asana
Independence University, Center for Excellence in Higher Education
I edit career-relevant, original content for IU course curriculum, including substantive revisions through line and copy editing. As the department editor, I also provide guidance to a team of 12 writers to make certain that educational content is clear, informative, and enjoyable to read.
- Draw upon strong writing and editing skills for creative fiction and non-fiction.
- Demonstrate effective, considerate personal and personnel management skills.
- Work exclusively in online writing, editing, and project management environments.
- Communicate well in written and verbal interactions, ensuring exceptional collaboration.
IBM, Help@IBM Content Team
As sole editor for a team of writers, I assess internal help articles for accuracy and necessity, ensuring they conform to the company style guide and increase user rankings. I find the most efficient way to clearly communicate an idea: “Say the most with the least amount of words possible.”
- Developed productive, positive relationships with product owners and other teams.
- Acted as the admin of Trello board used for PMS and led webinars on how to use the application.
- Exhibited a sense of initiative, productivity, follow-through, and an understanding of priorities. “Work smart, not hard.”
Freelance and Contract Work for companies in tech, sports, financial, entertainment, publishing, and energy industries
I’ve worked short-term and long-term contracts as an editor, writer, content strategist, and instructor for advertising firms, tech companies, a power company, and more. The following is a brief highlight of that work:
- Generated audience-seeking, retention-boosting, call-to-action content for blogs, email campaigns, landing pages, web copy, infographics, scripts for videos, banner ads, social media posts, webinars, in-store signage, and direct mail.
- Collaborated from kick-off to delivery with marketing, demand generation, graphics, events, PR, and clients to create innovative strategies and narrative cohesion.
- Refined writing/style guides for customer-facing and internal content.
Performer, Director, and Instructor
Improv troupes, shows, and theaters
Improv greatly influences my off-stage life and has given me personal mottoes, such as “I’m here to make you look good” to show support for others and their ideas. This motto also means performing at my best. Improv has refined my thoughts on collaboration, adapting quickly, and creating original content.
- Teach improv skills to adults and children, giving them the confidence to freely create and use teamwork.
- Create improvised original performances that range from 5 to 90 minutes in length, including directing successful shows with a cast of 10 or more.
Marketing and Technology Manager/Co-owner
Blue Iris Therapy
With my then-girlfriend/now-wife, I started a business where she could reach a larger clientele to continue to excel as a massage therapist. I created the website with WordPress and wrote all site, social media, and newsletter copy.
- Had 20% higher open rate and 10% higher click-through rate than others in same industry.
- Hired and trained employees.
Editor-in-chief, Writer, Co-founder
I co-owned and acted as editor-in-chief for a popular tech blog called Techcitement. The site generated product reviews and discussed technology’s connection to and influence on the cultural landscape, politics, and entertainment. Through this focus, I helped create a loyal, growing audience and a satisfied staff of writers.
Copywriter/Marketing Content Writer
Created and edited content—emails and marketing campaigns—for consistency and to target audiences. Increased open and click-through rates by 10 to 20%.
The Onion: The A.V. Club
Wrote articles that work for print and web, with enhanced online experience, including restaurant review column.
Freescale Semiconductor, now called NXP
Edited reference manuals, product briefs, data sheets, and app notes for multiple departments for accuracy, grammar, voice, and style. Collaborated with global team of onsite/remote writers, designers, and marketers.
University of Southern Mississippi
B.A. in English language studies and journalism